Saturday, February 16, 2008

Post-Valentine Date

Marlon surprised us by going home early yesterday. So off we went to SM for a little post-Valentine dinner. True enough, restos there still has long-stemmed roses as centerpieces. Still feels like V-day alright minus the queueing to get the table.

When we arrived at 5pm, I was famished already but don't want to ruin my appetite for dinner so we just had a quick bite at Pizza Hut, where the little boy enjoyed playing with Yaya at their "playhouse". He doesn't fancy their hat though so I had to take super-quick shots since he swiftly takes them off.

So that we can finish our food, we allowed him to ride the train with Yaya, which unfortunately is being recharged so it's not available for another 40 mins. Ok lang sad for the little boy to just sit and wait. Though we didn't wait til the train got fully recharged, we just made him ride the horse in the merry-go-round and he was more than happy to oblige.

Then off he went to the "taxi" ride, while I was able to shop for what's new at National Bookstore and Booksale alike...weeee! I feel like am in heaven when I am left to roam these places.

Was able to buy the Moms Today ish where Tessa Prieto-Valdez was on cover, while I was able to get a few Dr. Seuss titles for Benedict at a lesser price, bec. I got them at BookSale.

While at Book Sale, there was a mom I came across who kinda pissed me off bec. of her comment about my little boy. He was asking my Yaya man gud how old is my kiddo, so Yaya replied with 1 yr. 5 months. The she proceeded with regalling me with her tale of how her 2-yo boy is speaking well na at 1yr. 2 months. Bec. she was playing all these tapes while he was still on her tummy and bombarding the boy with educational videos daw. I just smiled at her and said "Oh that's very good, Ma'am." then turning to his little one, I told his boy "You're such a bright boy, sweetie!". But the thing is his boy squirmed and hid behind his Mommy's back.

I never did pressure my little boy to learn anything. He does it mostly on his own. What I do is just support him when I see that he is interested in something.

And without missing a bi, the lady added "Lain-lain jud diay noh?" (each child is different right?) My little boy is only interested in cars and nothing else...Oh men! I wish I had the guts to tell her that its never good to push the little ones. But then again, if she's so convinced about her parenting style.. I would have loved to brag that my little boy can identify most of the common animals now, but bit my tongue. I really don't know this stranger...and who does she think she is counseling me on my "teaching" style. To each his own! We are all entitled to think we are doing the best we can for our own child. I just gave her a lame smile, and proceeded to pay for my purchases, so I can stay away from that nosy lady.

Grrr...it irritates me still. I know she must have meant well. And on the other hand, she really has the right to brag & tell the world of her son's achievements. It's just that she came off very arrogant and know-it-all. You know the type!

How many times in the past was I tempted to "teach" my little boy the ABCs and the Numbers...but I couldn't see the interest yet. Inspite of the videos and music I have exposed him to. So, I backed off and reasoned that if he would want to, he would somehow show me that he is interested. I do still play those videos occassionally (when he's bored of the usual Mickey, Hi-5 and Barney stuffs na) but mostly I just give him waht he likes. After all the best "teaching" we can impart on our children is how we love them unconditionally.

Aw, that somehow ruined our post-Valentine family date. But not quite...

I still am happy with the books I got. Here are the titles: the classic Green Eggs and Ham, There's a Wocket in my Pocket, The Foot Book, Go Dog Go and Sesame Street's It's Not Easy Being Big! great value for these books...and great savings for Marlon's pocket.

No comments: