Saturday, April 12, 2008

First Attempt with Art

As I am a self-confessed artistically-challenged individual, I was having a hard time looking for ideas on how to start my little one with the arts & crafts.

Luckily, I found some very enthusiastic, not to mention gifted mommies (Tanya http://tanyakarina.multiply.com/ & Tintin http://christineeverth.multiply.com/) on the net. With their suggestions and ideas, I was able to innovate a bit. So here's Benedict's first attempt with the paintbrush.

He is actually just mixing colors...I got this idea from a Parenting magazine...give them an empty white container (such as an ice cube holder) with clear water and watch them amuse themselves with how the water will turn into a different shade when they would dip the paintbrush in.

How my Benedict enjoyed this particular activity! We were not actually able to do actual "painting" on paper as he was more amused with the dipping the paintbrush into the holder & watching it turn into diff. shades. We were only able to manage a few smears here & there... But I suppose it's already a good start?!

Incidentally, the idea was from one of newest toy...the Little Leaps. It has the Creative Baby CD which featured colors & babies holding a paintbrush. And my tiny tike immediately took notice and told me,,,"My-my...pheynt, pheynt" Oh my! How my heart gave a leap...

But I was determined to try this one out, if only for my son's sake..hehe. So the next malling trip was to pick up some art supplies at NBS and the stationer section of SM Dept. Unfortunately, there were sooo few choices available lang. I was specifically looking for the washable & non-toxic variants of the paints & watercolor and crayons. But I was only able to buy the Crayola washable crayon. This has become my obsession lately, to look for such stuffs...coz the little one had started to scribble on his growth chart & some Mickey posters on our bedroom wall. Good thing, only a few streaks went to the wall itself. But I am not taking any chances. Repainting is not on my budget for the next 5 years or so...

A mommy pal http://christineeverth.multiply.com/ shared with me her recipe for a homemade paint, so we will definitely be trying that one our soon...

No comments: