Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Benedict's Summer Play School experience

My little munchkin is not alien to a play center...as we often bring him to Wonderland for a brief play time where he gets to be with kids his age, while we get to do some chores like groceries too...or window shopping...or in my case, my fave activity is book-hunting.

But since we saw a play group offering a summer class in Kidy Park (still within the SM Mall), we got interested. And upon learning that the morning class (10AM to 12NN schedule) has an age range of 1-2 y/o, I have gotten more and more interested. The whole package would have cost less for the entire summer class which would last til May 16, but since we will be going to Cebu for a vacation, we opted to have the per-session option na lang. And taking into consideration also the fact that my little boy might not like it there at all. Oh you know how it is with kids...

On our first day though, I got myself a very eager little "student". He lugged around his baby cow backpack (a pasalubong from Nana from a Cebu trip not so long ago) and refused to part with it thus we had a difficult time fitting 'em both in his car seat

He enjoyed his first day, esp. since his cousin, Chloe joined him too. Both had fun during the free play and even participated enthusiastically in the "activities" like coloring using crayons (which my little tyke is familiar na) and singing nursery rhymes. They also enjoyed sharing a snack with their new friends.

Except for a rowdy 3 y/o, the rest of their class is quite manageable. I feel for their teacher, Jo (who also happened to be a friend of mine...we are in the same BLD class way, way back), but she is very capable and trained. She also displayed utmost patience. But I am still undecided about the fact that the 3 y/o is quite a handful and is clearly lacking in some areas of discipline. He started acting up and knocked their monobloc chairs. I fear that he might hurt my little boy.

But all in all, it was a fairly nice experience for Benedict, as well as for his cousin Chloe. She was more participative considering that she is older and the activities are more aptly suited for her age group. Both toddlers were happy and grinning from ear to ear when Teacher Jo stamped their hands with a heart bec. they were cooperative and behaved.

My little one quickly run to where I am and proudly showed me his stamp as they were told by their teacher to show Mommy & Daddy their stamp...and he was quick to search my hand as well...hmmm, he must have thought that I went to school too...as I was there with him the whole time...hahaha

After class, they had more free play downstairs...still within the area, and after a while we brought them over to Ketkai na for more fun rides and to meet Chloe's parents there. We left after we have had a few picture taking sessions with Teacher Jo.

On Wednesday, we attended another session again, not with Ate Chloe na this time as they went home to Pagadian na on Tuesday. Same as the first day, they still have free play, followed by "color" activities...they taught the color "violet" and "orange" and my tiny tike quipped "puh-ple" when he was asked by Teacher Jo what's the color of Barney...haha...I had to explain that at home we call it purple instead of violet And again, he got two stars...on his hands.

After the class we brought him over to his pedia for our family's routine flu vaccine which would now include Benedict, his Daddy, me and Yaya as well. I was a bit concerned as his temp. raised a bit, maybe bec. he has a runny nose na to begin with in the morning. Hmmm, but his pedia checked him man before giving the vaccine and he found him to be fit for such. I then remember that there were some kids who were sneezing in their play group, and we think the carpeted area is not also as clean as we thought 'em to be coz in the two times we have been there...oh men! our socks are oh so gross-looking! maybe they have not vacuumed as frequently. I had to check with Benedict's pedia on what to do and when I explained that the little boy now has sneezes frequently, in addition to the clear, runny nose...she prescribed Virlix drops coz the allergic rhinitis might get worse. Thus the decision of not making the little boy go back to play school was made.

In as much as we loved exposing him to play groups and other kids his age, we don't also want to compromise his health. So we're back to Wonderland na lang for now. But we are looking forward to Gymboree in Cebu in a few weeks...

No comments: