Thursday, July 24, 2008

Free trial class for Benedict at Kumon Center

Late this afternoon, as in around 6 pm, we brought Benedict to the local Kumon Center in Macasandig. Few weeks ago, I visited the center in search for the elusive Kumon First Steps workbooks. I got to talk to Teacher Elaine, whom I have asked about the workbooks. Although she said that those workbooks are actually printed by Kumon Inc. and they dont carry it at the centers because they are using photocopied materials to save on cost, but nonetheless, the materials they are using are comparably good if not far better bec. it is accompanied by a guiding teacher.

She got interested to meet my little boy, when I asked about the earliest age I can have my son enrolled at the center. Although at first she was actually reluctant especially when I mentioned that he is barely 2 years old, she changed her mind and asked to meet my son upon learning that my wee little baby (he will always be such to me) knows the alphabet, numbers and colors already, among others.

I never really intend to bring him back sooner. Instead we were looking at a playgroup or toddlers school for him. But my hubby said we have really nothing to lose if we have him assessed by them. If they will find him ready fort he program, then we enroll him. The moment we feel that he does not like it there at all, or the activities are too difficult, boring or plainly not meant for him, then we pull him out. So there, with that kind of reasoning, we brought him to the center.

A kindly teacher, whom I havent really asked for her name (shame on me!) approached us, and my baby immediately befriended her. So she took him to the pre-school area, and gave him a 'matching' test...a magnetic pad was laid out in front of him with the numbers 1-10 written, and Benedict has to match the appropriate button with the corresponding 1-10 numbers also. And I was very much pleased when he got it all right. hurray!!!

He became good at 'matching games' bec. of a Disney Cars game given to him by his Ah Ko, but that is entirely a different story na. Suffice to say that I should post a video of him doing the matching game soon. It's cute!

Anyway, back to Kumon...the teacher was impressed that he matched all 10 numbers correctly that she told us to bring Benedict back to the center on Monday so that he can try the activities that they have. And it's all for free, for two weeks at least. We are actually given a free-hand in choosing what time we would want to bring him in, but Marlon thinks it's best if we bring him between the 8:00-10:00 am sched. which is allotted for pre-schoolers like himself.

Oh I am so excited for my little one. I just hope he enjoys the experience. ^_^

P.S. I'd like to make a special mention to Mommy Carie, thanks so much for all the information about the Kumon Center nearest us. I am inspired by your daughter's progress with Kumon that's why I am letting Benedict try it out himself.

If ever he will be taken in, he will be the youngest student ever in this particular center. ^_^ It's going to be another milestone for him.

No comments: