Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Benedict is starting to learn Phonics

I've always been on the look-out for the latest technology, books, activities for my active toddler.

These days he enjoys sharing my laptop with me...nope not his V-Tech, but mine...all because it has "ABC's" on it..hehe.

A few months back I've read Mommy Tin's post about starfall.com and I started to show it to Benedict. Right away, his attention was captured. Since he knows na all the letters of the alphabet, he is enjoying starfall the more. He has gained more words to add to his growing vocabulary, courtesy of starfall among others. (Thanks a lot to Mommy Tin for sharing about it!)

His current fave is the letter O bec. he loves the juggling "ac-pus" (octopus), as well as the letter U bec of the bus and the sun. I can only hope he will soon get to practice reading when he masters the phonics too.

I still play Leap Frog's Letter Factory every other day, although I must admit between Leap, Lily and Tad AND Lightning McQueen, Sally and Doc Hudson, my son seems to enjoy the Disney Cars movies more...hahaha.

But his progress is remarkable. The little boy is also fascinated with colors and numbers as well. He can now identify different shades including pink, brown, gray...but his fave still remains to be "phurr-phu" (purple). I'd say, it must be the influence of Barney!

He can also identify all the numbers from 1-10 although he gets confused with the numbers 6 and 9 at times.

I am so pleased that Benedict is showing interest in the basic pre-school stuffs. Especially since he is a boy, that's one less concern for me...hoping that this early start will also make him get a head start on a good study habit.

At times, I also get worried as he is not exposed to so many kids his own age..that his emotional growth might be stunted. Or that he would grow up spoiled and not be able to learn the value of sharing. But when I see him offer his toys and books to some playmates/neighbors who drops by from time to time, my heart smiles. I have nothing to worry after all.

I am eager to see him start to read soon...another milestone!

No comments: